8 days Zermatt and Pontresina with the Glacier Express
Views that will take your breath away
A truly wonderful experience travelling in the high Alps on the slowest express train in the world
Your holiday includes a Swiss Travel Pass, covering the rail journeys below as well as many scenic excursions
This is just one example of a Glacier Express holiday with Zermatt and Pontresina. All holidays can be adapted to your own requirements - call 0800 619 1200 for help with your planning and for prices.
Day 1. Arrive and explore
Flight from the UK to Zurich airport with rail travel to Zermatt. Check in to your hotel for your 3 night stay and enjoy your first views of the Matterhorn mountain.
Days 2-3. Zermatt and the Valais region
Zermatt is surrounded by awesome mountains, the most famous being the Matterhorn, which dominates this traditional alpine village. Enjoy your time in car-free Zermatt and be sure to experience one of the unmissable mountain journeys with 50% reduction, such as the network of cable cars to Klein Matterhorn - which at 3,883m is the highest sightseeing point in Europe. Try an alternative view from the idyllic lake of Schwarzsee at the foot of the Matterhorn, or take the cog railway to the pure air and mountain restaurants of the Gornergrat. You will not be disappointed by the views and walking routes in this stunning alpine region.
Day 4. Glacier Express to Pontresina
On the fourth day you will join the leisurely Glacier Express train on its journey to St. Moritz in the scenic Upper Engadin region. This wonderful journey takes 7½ hours in the comfort of special panoramic coaches where a 3 course lunch is served at your table and refreshments are available throughout your trip. Highlights of this classic route through the mountains include the Oberalp Pass, Rhine Gorge and the Landwasser Viaduct. Enjoy your first sight of the beautiful countryside of the Upper Engadin, before private transfer to your hotel in nearby Pontresina for your 4 night stay.
Days 5-7. Pontresina and the Upper Engadin region
Your visit to Pontresina and the Upper Engadin valley is greatly enhanced by FREE transport including mountain railways, buses and cable cars, giving you unlimited access to wonderful walks and excursions, including the excellent panoramic walk at Alp Languard with views over the Bernina massif. Other recommendations include the funicular to Corviglia, connecting to the cable car to Piz Nair at 3,057m and the glacier station of Diavolezza, where you can enjoy lunch while admiring the unforgettable mountain scenery. We include a trip on the Bernina Express to Tirano in Italy – with time to enjoy an Italian lunch!
Day 8. Last day
Time for a last look around before you take the train to Zurich airport for your flight to the UK.
Zermatt-St. Moritz on the Glacier Express (with a short transfer to Pontresina).
YOUR HOLIDAY PRICE INCLUDES:
view booking conditions
- Scheduled return flights from London to Zurich (flights are available from around the UK)
- 8 day 2nd class Swiss Travel Pass covering all rail journeys described and many more
- 7 nights’ bed and breakfast accommodation as described based on two people sharing
- 2nd class reserved seats on the Glacier Express from Zermatt to St. Moritz including lunch
- 2nd class return reserved seats on the Bernina Express from Pontresina to Tirano
- Engadin Card offering FREE summer travel including mountain railways, buses and cable cars around Pontresina
- Full detailed itinerary sent with all tickets
- Financial protection ATOL 3148. Booking conditions apply
The Swiss Travel Pass is valid on trains, PostBuses, boats and scenic trains. Travel in Zermatt on mountain railways and cable cars at 50% reduction.
Build your own scenic rail itinerary
Not quite the perfect holiday? We can tailor make it to suit you:
- Change the direction of travel
- Add extra nights in any of the resorts
- Add on excursions to explore the lakes and mountains
- Include dinner on a half board basis
- Upgrade your hotel room for even more beautiful views
- Upgrade to 1st class rail for extra comfort
- Add additional resorts - create your own Grand Tour